The 2019 CANA Small Grants Scheme supports small organising projects that will expedite Australia’s transition to 100% renewable energy by building and activating community leadership.
Funding for your project
Grants from $500 to $10,000 are available to individuals and organisations. The Scheme is designed to resource CANA members to run high impact, low cost energy transition organising projects. We seek applications for grants of $500 to $5,000, although in exceptional cases, CANA’s Small Grant Scheme Committee may grant up to $10,000. In addition, the committee will welcome stand out applications from organisations considering joining the CANA network.
Eligibility for funding
Our priority is to fund smaller local organisations and individuals. This includes local affiliates, branches or action groups associated with larger organisations. In general we will not fund larger organisations with numerous staff. However, projects from larger organisations that support local action and address a critical gap in national strategy will be considered.
Projects must address at least one of the following criteria:
- Identify, educate and activate new and diverse voices to organise for the energy transition
- Assist a particular community to understand the urgency of the issue, gain their commitment to leading an energy transition organising project and establish an activist leadership team
- Enable communities to organise, educate and advocate for the transformation in their community and/or to influence the energy transformation at a state or national level
Applications are open 22 July - until midnight (AEST) 1 September 2019.
Complete each section of the online application form clearly and concisely. To assist with your preparation to apply, you will need to prepare brief answers to the below:
- What is the purpose of the project (which of the above three criteria are you trying to achieve)?
- Provide details of your Australian project with a brief description of how you intend to use the grant funding.
- Describe the reasons why do you want to do this project and how it will assist in achieving the goal of moving Australia to 100% renewable energy. (Approx. 200 words)
- What do you expect to achieve from the project? This should include a broad goal and also SMART objectives.
- What are the proposed start and end dates for your project?
- What does your organisation do? Include its mission, major programs, number of paid staff, volunteer leaders and volunteers. Indicate how the proposed project will assist your organisation in its mission (Approx. 100 words)
- How much do you expect your project to cost?
- How much funding are you seeking from CANA?
- Are you seeking any other funding for this project?
- What will you spend the funds on?
You will need to complete the whole online form prior to submitting it (you will not be able to save a partially completed online form). Once submitted, you are able to edit the form prior to midnight (AEST) 1 September 2019.
Applications will be reviewed during September 2019.
By early October 2019, applicants will be contacted in writing to confirm whether or not their application has been successful. Funding will be available shortly afterwards. Project completion deadlines will be discussed and detailed in the Grant Agreement, and will generally be expected to be no longer than 6 months. Negotiation of extensions are possible. Upon completion of your project you will be required to submit a short summary report outlining the work, outcomes and lessons learned.
Note that if you are shortlisted by the selection committee, you may be asked to provide other relevant documents in support of your application.
Please direct any questions to Melinda Millen firstname.lastname@example.org